Welcome to This Week In Pop.
This week, The Killers score their third ARIA #1 album, while Troye Sivan and Hooligan Hefs lead a big week of local debuts. Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion hold steady at #1 on the Singles Chart.
This week's album chartifacts
#1: The Killers ‘Imploding The Mirage’ – American rock band The Killers claim their third #1 album on the ARIA Charts as they release sixth studio effort 'Imploding The Mirage'. The follow-up to 'Wonderful Wonderful' (#1 October ’17) includes contributions from Lindsey Buckingham, k.d. lang, Weyes Blood and Adam Granduciel from The War on Drugs, among others.
#3: Troye Sivan ‘In A Dream’ – ARIA-winner Troye Sivan returns with 'In A Dream'. The six-track EP is the first release by the singer-songwriter since his second studio album 'Bloom' (#3 September ’18). It’s his first EP since the chart-topping 'Wild' (#1 September ‘15).
#6: Various Artists ‘Cannot Buy My Soul: The Songs Of Kev Carmody’ – The music of ARIA Hall Of Fame singer-songwriter Kev Carmody is celebrated on 'Cannot Buy My Soul: The Songs Of Kev Carmody'. Originally released in 2007 and peaking at #37, the album has been re-released with additional tributes recorded by Electric Fields, Courtney Barnett, Kasey Chambers & Jimmy Barnes, Mo'Ju & Birdz, Kate Miller-Heidke and Alice Skye.
#9: Hooligan Hefs ‘Living In Sin EP’ – Western Sydney hip hop artist Hooligan Hefs makes his Top 50 debut with the 'Living In Sin EP'. The six-track release comes after the rapper – real name Simi Silapa – released eight singles during 2019 and 2020.
#10: Tim McGraw ‘Here On Earth’ – American country star Tim McGraw releases his 16th studio album 'Here On Earth'. It’s his first solo album since 'Damn Country Music' (#19 November ’15), having teamed up with his wife Faith Hill for 'The Rest of Our Life' (#9 November ’17).
This week's single chartifacts
#1: Cardi B Feat. Megan Thee Stallion ‘WAP’ – Cardi B’s ‘WAP’ holds the #1 spot on the ARIA Singles Chart for a second straight week. To date, the controversial track has also spent two weeks at #1 in the US.
#2: BTS ‘Dynamite’ – K-pop superstars BTS take out a new ARIA Singles Chart peak as they release ‘Dynamite’. The group’s first song fully recorded in English is their second single to chart in 2020 after ‘On’ (#29 March ’20). It becomes their second Top Ten single in Australia, coming a year and a half after ‘Boy With Luv’ (#10 April ’19).
#4: 24kGoldn Feat. Iann Dior ‘Mood’ – After debuting at 36 last week, 24kGoldn’s ‘Mood’ jumps 32 spots to hit #4. It becomes the American rapper’s first Top Ten and highest chart peak, taking over from ‘City Of Angels’ (#25 April ’20).
Top 10 Albums
1. 'Imploding The Mirage' – The Killers
2. 'folklore' – Taylor Swift
3. 'In A Dream' – Troye Sivan
4. 'Legends Never Die' – Juice WRLD
5. 'Shoot For The Stars Aim For The Moon' – Pop Smoke
6. 'Cannot Buy My Soul: The Songs Of Kev Carmody' – Various
7. 'Fine Line' – Harry Styles
8. 'When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?' – Billie Eilish
9. 'Living In Sin EP' – Hooligan Hefs
10. 'Here On Earth' – Tim McGraw
Top 10 Singles
1. 'WAP' – Cardi B featuring Megan Thee Stallion
2. 'Dynamite' – BTS
3. 'Savage Love (Laxed – Siren Beat)' – Jawsh 685 x Jason Derulo
4. 'Mood' – 24kGoldn featuring Iann Dior
5. 'Laugh Now Cry Later' – Dark featuring Lil Durk
6. 'Mood Swings' – Pop Smoke
7. 'Head & Heart' – Joel Corry, MNEK
8. 'Rockstar' – DaBaby featuring Roddy Ricch
9. 'Breaking Me' – Topic featuring A7S
10. 'Roses' – SAINt JHN