Pumped with the recent announce of his debut headline tour, Baker Boy has already sold out the Melbourne and Brisbane shows, with the Perth and Sydney gigs currently selling quicker than Lewis Jetta on Grand Final day. Boom.
Baker Boy already has music in his blood, being related to the emerging musicians Gawurra and Yirrmal, and is known as ‘the fresh new prince’ in Arnhem Land.
He has also made his own, significant cultural impact by being the first to rap in his native dialect of Yolngu Matha.
“I wanted to do something different and something that I wanted to do in my way and not be someone else because otherwise it’d be a challenge. The best thing you can do is be yourself and do something different.”
Currently part of the Groovin The Moo regional festival series, Baker Boy shares five personal highlights of 2018... so far.
1. Nominated for three 2018 AIR Awards.I recently received the news that I was nominated for three AIR Awards for dance track 'Marryuna', released in 2017 and came in at #17 on the triple j Hottest 100, which is dope. I'm so thankful being in the running for Best Independent Artist Of The Year, Best Independent Single and Breakthrough Artist Of The Year against some pretty amazing artists.
2. Forthcoming release of my 3P.So my manager came up with this quirky idea, because so many people have wanted to get their hands on physical copies of my music (even though I'm currently working on finishing up my album), which is essentially a three-track EP. So my 3P will be hitting the merch desk for my 'Marryuna' tour in May.
3. Splendour In The Grass announce.So many unexpected things just keep falling in my lap. First it was 50 Cent, then Dizzee Rascal supports and now SITG, which has got a deadly line-up. I can't believe I'll be sharing the same air as Kendrick Lamar, Khalid and LORDE! They also used 'Mr La Di Da Di' on the line-up video announce.
4. 'Marryuna' tour selling out almost instantly in Melbourne.When I found out how quick the first announce of my Melbourne show sold out, I was blown away by all the love. But I'm over the moon that all THREE shows have sold out – I hope everyone has learned the dance moves.
5. triple j Hottest 100 countdown.triple j have been so amazing to me, but I never expected both my tracks to crack the top 100 because I'm still pretty fresh on the music scene. Since then, my following on social media has blown up. I couldn't have done it without the people - BIG LOVE TO YOU ALL from Groovin' The Moo tour fam.
Baker Boy Tour 2018Sun 13 May - Amplifier Bar (Perth)
19, 20 & 22 May - Northcote Social Club (Melbourne) - SOLD OUT
Thu 31 May - Black Bear Lodge (Brisbane)
Fri 1 Jun - Black Bear Lodge (Brisbane) - SOLD OUT
Sat 9 Jun - The Lansdowne Hotel (Sydney) - SOLD OUT
Sat 15 Jun - Dark Mofo (Hobart)