At Ideal Introductions, I am constantly preparing clients for first dates, equipping them with all sorts of tips and icebreakers to help calm their nerves and give them the best possible shot. Here are my top five tips for men and women who are embarking on a first date some time soon:
For the Men1. Have a game plan - Impressing a lady on the first date is not about how much you spend, but how much you have planned. Women are suckers for a man with a plan because it shows you have initiative and are capable of organising things. So don’t be afraid to put in some effort, women often notice and appreciate these things more.
2. Scrub up and be clean - Before a first date, you MUST have a shower, wash your hair and spray some cologne. Wear something smart and casual that makes you feel good about yourself. The better you feel, the more confident you will be!
3. Arrive early - Always arrive 10-15 minutes early and text your date where you are seated. A lady loves a gentleman to keep an eye out, stand and walk over to greet her. And don’t forget to pull out her chair so she can be seated. Prove to your date chivalry is not dead!
4. First date conversation. No matter how confident you are in everyday life, first dates can bring out nerves we didn’t know we had. Have a mental list of questions ready to go to help you keep the conversation flowing.
5. Always pay for the date. Make the first move when the bill arrives and never accept her offer to pay half. Paying for the bill shows you’re solid, generous, kind and capable of managing things.
For the Women1. Be sexy - The biggest mistake women can make is not showing off their feminine side. Wear some heels, a dress or skirt – something that is flattering, comfortable, a little bit sexy, but most of all, practical. If you’re not comfortable in what you’re wearing you won’t be able to relax and enjoy yourself fully, which is super important on a first date.
2. Lighten up - Don’t take yourself too seriously! Both of you want to have some fun, so don’t be afraid to lighten up, share funny stories, make jokes and laugh at yourself.
3. Men love compliments - Believe it or not men like compliments just as much as we do, so feel free to offer one or two and watch his body language change instantly.
4. Actions speak louder than words - Remember to maintain eye contact, smile and lean in to show you are interested. A bit of subtle flirting can always go a long way as well, but don’t overdo it otherwise you risk him feeling uncomfortable and he could assume you act this way with everyone.
5. Avoid mentioning your ex at all costs! Regardless of whether you talk positively or negatively about him, it will only make you appear as if you are still not over him and may have some baggage to work through. Just don’t go there – trust me!
Follow these tips and icebreakers, and you’ll be well on your way to making a good first impression… Good luck daters! Until next time.